- Spikes and surges are caused by sudden increases in voltage in the electricity network.
- This can be caused by storms, accidents, lightning strikes or something as simple as turning an appliance on or off. If there is storm activity in your area it is a good idea to turn off and unplug any sensitive equipment if you can. Lightning is the most common cause of surge and spikes causing damage.
- Surges and spikes can cause damage or destroy your appliances. They can even start fires.
- The things most at risk are computers, printers, fax machines, TV’s DVD players, medical equipment or communication equipment.
- You can buy surge protectors to protect your appliances and wiring. Note – these are NOT the same as safety switches. Surge protectors protect your appliances and a safety switch helps to protect people.
- Ther are three types of surge protection:
- Power point
- Main switchboard
Further information on surge protectors can be found on the Energex website www.energex.com.au on their safety page