Has your account been estimated?
- This can be caused by modem connection dropouts in your digital meter.
- When an account has been estimated, your meter provider will provide readings based on historic usage, usually for the same period the previous year.
- If you are a new customer, estimated accounts are based on averages of similar customers over the same time period.
Is it because of the season?
- During summer the increased use of air-conditioning will increase energy usage.
- Winter will also influence how you use your energy because the days are shorter and cooler, for example:
- Your lights are on for longer periods.
- When the weather is cooler we tend to use heating.
- With shorter, cooler days the use of clothes driers will increase.
- Long periods of wet weather will also see the increase in the usage of clothes driers.
“As a rule of thumb, anything that heats, cools or has a motor will increase the usage of energy”
Is it a longer billing period?
- Are there more days on this bill compared to your last bill?
Has there been an increase in tariff rates?
- An increase in your electricity tariff will impact the cost of your bill
Why is my bill more expensive than my neighbours?
- There can be many reasons for this, for example:
- You have different types of appliances.
- Your neighbour may have newer appliances and therefore more energy efficient.
- Your neighbour may have less appliances than you.
- You may have more people living in your household than your neighbour.
- Everyone uses their energy differently – for example, if you use your oven more than your neighbour your energy usage will be higher.